Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Curious case of Telugu cinema...



It was February, 2010. I wrote a full page article for a newspaper I was working for, on stereotypical films being made in Telugu film industry.I lynched story writers and heroes on lack of creative ideas. In the article, I quoted film producers who suffered massive losses in the past one and a half year.The article won appreciation from friends and colleagues.

Tired of continuous work, I decided to take a break from Tollywood for a week.Me and my friend decided to backpack to Haridwar, Rishikesh and Gangotri. At Delhi, we got on to a Uttarakhand state transport corporation bus to Haridwar.All sorts of people were in this bus.Dhant Manjan sellers, astrologers, second hand electronic goods sellers, baba followers, engineering students,firangs in search of salvation...all headed to Haridwar for the Kumbhmela.

After gazing at each of them for some time for some entertainment, I fell asleep.The bus passed through the dusty roads of Uttarpradesh and Uttarakhand.The fabric of people traveling in this bus started changing from midly violent to aggressively intolerant as the journey progressed.

I woke up at a dusty stop for chai .That small town seemed to have had half of the dust in the world.It had the power to instantly kill an asthma patient. Beyond the dusty road, I could vaguely see a theatre and people lined up.I was curious to see which hero's film did these people line up for.

I got off the bus and walked closer to the theatre.I saw the posters of the movie up for screening.I rubbed my eyes to re read it.I was surprised.It had Junior NTR, Genelia and Shriya Saran on the poster.The title was 'Main Hoon Gambler...' something i vaguely register.It referred to NTR as 'He-man fighter'. I was bowled over.

For the next half of the journey, I saw posters of Mahesh Babu, Jnr NTR, Gopichand, Allu Arjun, Jagapathibabu and Srikanth in several small towns that passed by.The posters had obscure titles.Most of the titles had Khiladi, Chor, Raja, Khatra, Sikandar as common words.

In many seven seater autos I got into at Rishikesh or Haridwar, fellow tourists from Maharashtra and Rajasthan played 'Aakalesthe Annam Pedatha..','Adhara kottu...' 'Aa Ante Amalapuram'...on their music players.

I didn't find a logical answer to why direct and dubbed Telugu films appealed to these people.The reach of our dubbed films was wider than I had imagined.On one hand the industry suffers huge losses and on the other she wins new admirers up north ..I continue to wonder if we are progressing or regressing.


At one of my family functions in Karnataka later last year, 'Ringa..Ringa' was hot favourite.At NIFT campus in Hyderabad dominated by Bihar students , Ringa Ringa is campus anthem. On my journey to Hassan district, I striked a conversation with a waiter in a road side eatery.He and his friends had hired a truck to attend Chiranjeevi's party launch rally in Tirupati two years ago.

In another incident, my colleague's cousin from Kerala travelled all the way to Hyderabad just to see Allu Arjun at a public meeting.

Every time I see Uttarpradesh lining up, Orissa and Rajasthan sway for mass Telugu numbers, Uttarakhand poster up our heroes and Karnataka taken over by Telugu cinema, I feel proud. The cynic in me dies.The victim of bad films in me forgives.The critique of cliche content calms down.


We are an industry of N T Ramarao, ANR, S V Ranga Rao. Of Vittalacharya, LV Prasad, Nagireddy, C Pullaiah. Of Bhanumati, Savitri, Dasari, Shobhan Babu and Krishna. Of Ghantasala, SP Balasubramaniam, Susheela, Janaki and Jikki.Of Bapu, Vamsi, Jandhyala and EVV. Of Chiranjeevi, Nagarjuna, Balaiah and Venkatesh. Of Sharada, Satyanarayana, Rao Gopal Rao, Paruchuri and Bramhanandam. Of RGV, Jayapradha, Jayasudha, Sridevi and Vijayashanti.Filmnagar houses an endless list of brand ambassadors who ventured into newer places and conquered them. She has more market to exploit, more fans to win, more territories to occupy and boundaries to expand.

With 30 heroes,30 comedians over 1,200 screens and 210 films an year she looks larger than Bollywood.

What I like the most about Telugu film industry is its innocent love for the medium of cinema. After Anaganaga Oo Dheerudu, this industry has not stopped making films. After Veera, they have not gone out of business. After Saleem, they haven't sat home. After Marocharitra the production houses didn't shut down. KSD Appalraju didn't stop distributors from buying films. Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada and Hindi film industries may be equally or more talented than Telugu cinema in a few ways but can never match her in her entrepreneurial spirit.

However, I have mixed feelings about Telugu film industry's future.When I look at box office collections of superhit films, I am optimistic of Telugu cinema's future.When I think of the monopoly in film exhibiting system in Tollywood, I am pessimistic.Hundreds of theatres are in the hands of five people.Of the 30 heroes, 25 are from film families.Industry unfortunately works on 'Caste'ing rather than on 'Casting'.This monopoly is dangerous for a creative industry.Telugu cinema is a fan driven industry and movies are hero centric as against story centric.We need to graduate to being 'audience' driven industry with story as the hero if we have to uphold the glitz of her golden past.


Every time she is bruised with an utter flop and I am worried of her,Telugu cinema tells me

"Don't worry a Magadheera will soon be born to save me.I will continue my Dhookudu again.... I am Telugu cinema...Neninthe!!


.






11 comments:

  1. superb blogs... u make up da narration well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. very well written. But i guess u are realizing all this after you have started living abroad . When u were here , u always had only negative comments about the industry. Doorapu kondalu koncham nunupe !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.LyricsInTelugu.com is Telugu lyrics website with huge collection of old and new songs lyrics in Telugu language. Request lyrics for your favorite song and get it for free

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Write Up !! Prasanth

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article sounds like Deja Vu to me because I pass through the same phase every time I watch a good Telugu movie after I've tirelessly criticized the Telugu film industry for it's bland line-up of films......I love the industry for all the good movies as much as I hate it for all the politics and the forced stereotypical attitude it works on!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you had added share option to your blog. I wish to share this particular write up with all those who declare Telugu cinema gone to dust.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had come to know about your web-page from my friend hardkik, chennai,i have read atleast 9 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your webpage gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanx a million once again, Regards, Telugu Lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had come to know about your web-page from my friend hardkik, chennai,i have read atleast 9 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your webpage gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanx a million once again, Regards, Telugu Lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice blog... www.cinepopularnews.com

    ReplyDelete