Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"I want to be good dad to my kids"


Riding high on the success of Singham, Tamil “superstar” Suriya is excited about the release of the film’s Telugu version, Yamudu.
The actor, known for his versatility, is however, not yet ready to give up on “clichéd” stories because he says commercial cinema is needed to satisfy the masses.
“When I did Surya S/O Krishnan, IIT students, Ph.D holders and urban youngsters loved it but the rural viewers did not. Everyone, however, loved Singham. Both class and mass are important to me. I can’t afford to ignore either. I am trying to strike a balance between the two,” he says.
Over the past few years, Suriya and his brother Karthi have ensured that all their Tamil releases have been dubbed into Telugu. In fact, Suriya has delayed the Telugu release of his upcoming film since Karthi’'s movie Awara is still playing at theatres here. The actor reveals that he is planning to do a Telugu film next year while focussing on “bi-linguals” that rake in the moolah in both states.
“I would like it to be a bi-lingual and ensure it has actors known to audience in both states. Here, the audience relates to me ever since Ghajini, and there are huge expectations from my films,” says the actor.
So why are Telugu movies dubbed in Tamil not well-received by the Tamil audience? “It’s all about marketing. If the actors spend some time, focus on promotion and market their films, get proper Tamil lyricists to pen the songs and cast a few Tamil artistes in the films, Telugu films too will penetrate there.”
Like Vikram, Suriya too is jumping on the Bollywood bandwagon with his multi-lingual Rakthacharitra co-starring Viveik Oberoi. Rumours are rife that Viveik’s presence at IIFA in Sri Lanka might hit the film’s release in South India but Suriya plays safe, “I can’t comment on his presence there. I have been emotionally affected and so I didn’t go to Sri Lanka. I don’t know what impact Viveik’s presence there will have on the film’s release,” he says.
The actor says that he wants to spend more time with his family. “I am a second-time dad now and I realise that I can’t be selfish and focus only on my career. I need to make time for my family and be a good dad to my kids.”

No comments:

Post a Comment