Sunday, January 2, 2011

Female fans get Nag-Venky brand endorsments


Nagarjuna and Venkatesh, two of the big four in Telugu cinema industry, in their 25th year of stardom are still doing movies, more in number every year than their kids and nephews who are also actors now.Even at 50 years of age, both Nag and Venky are giving the young breed of actors a run for their money and most of the younger stars prefer not to release their films anywhere closer to the release of these two biggies for a common reason-their huge female fan following. Nagarjuna and Venkatesh are undoubtedly a big hit among female fans who even in TV smitten era flock to theatres to watch their movies.


This has worked in the favour of both these senior stars in getting them brand endorsments targetted at women customers.Unlike young Tollywood brigade who are vying with one another to turn brand ambassadors for soft drinks, jeans and telecom operators, Nagarjuna and Venkatesh are ambassadors for jewellery brands.

Nagarjuna left everyone wide eyed when he signed as brand ambassador for Kalyan Jewellers from Kerala. The star is splashed on hoarding all over the city endorsing the brand. Sources say the brand did a survey and found that these two stars are a hit with women audience watching Telugu movies which is why they went for Nag.

52 year old Nagarjuna who was away from endorsments for years and has recently got into this new venue of earning money explains,

"A few years ago I was busy and didn't have the time to do endorsments. When I got free , good brands didn't come my way. It just happened now.Both the endorsments are long standing institutions and financially also it works out for me.When the jewellery brand came to me with proposal to be their brand ambassador in AP, I told them to go to Anushka and Ileana. But they explained that they have succesffuly done it with Mammoty in Kerala and also feel that I have a female fan following that works for their brand. They needed a stature and image for people to believe their slogan on purity of gold and I was roped in"

Ditto with Venkatesh who recently turned 51. The actor was the first choice for Coke endorsment years ago when not many T'wood stars were into encashing their image.The actor too avoided endorsments then owing to his busy career and has now plunged into it now.

"Coke approached me years ago and I said no to them then as I was busy with films. This Manapuram gold loan came out of blue. They said they did their research on female audience and their favourite star. They approached me and I readily agreed to do it.I shot a few ads for them for a couple of days and I am glad I am with the right brand" Venky raves.

Sources say both these superstars are willing to endorse more brands now. Poor heroines, who thought will make quick money in their short lived stardom by endorsing apparel and jewellery have to face competition not just from fellow damsels but from Nag and Venky too.

(Published in The New Indian express on 30-12-2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment