Sunday, January 2, 2011

"Love is special for me"


Despite other blockbuster hits this year, one movie that left an indelible impression on young audience was Gautam Menon's 'Yem Maya Chesave'.Nagachaitanya's performance as 'Karthik' in this romantic musical entertainer was the most talked about in the industry. YMC made Chai a dream boy of many girls in the state. Young audience flocked to theatres and related to every scene that occured between Jessie and Karthik, the charecters immortalised by Samanta and Nagachaitanya.With two movies in his kitty now, Chai concludes 2010, with lot of content.



"This year has been great for me. I couldn't have asked for more.When I signed up 'Yem Maya Chesave', I didn't think it will be this big a hit.I am flattered when people call me Karthik wherever I go.This movie means a lot to me as it made so much an impact. and it changed my career completely. I thought it was a simple love story but the audience compare everything in their love affairs to the occurences in this film."


His debut film Josh released at a wrong time when former CM YSR just passed away, which showed impact on the film's box office collections.But YMC did decent business. After two films, Nagachaitanya admits that he has evolved as an actor,

"I think I will keep evolving with every film. With every movie, there are newer things to be learnt. Acting is a profession where one can't be adept in ever and there is always a scope for learning newer ways of emoting. Post Josh and YMC, I think I have evolved as an actor for sure"

His father Nagarjuna does at least two films an year even at 25th year of his acting. Chaintya had just one release this year. Is that a concious deciscion to do lesser movies?

"Not at all. Infact, the movie I am doing now with Tamannah was supposed to hit the screens this month.Due to technical problems and now the shooting strike, the release got delayed.It will release in March now.I believe that since I am young, I could do atleast two good films an year.I want the audience to keep remembering me. I don't want them to forget me after one movie. "


Chaitanya is the grandson of two of industry's biggest stalwarts, Akkineni Nageswara Rao and Daggubati Ramanaidu whose families have atleast six actors doing films now.This young actor quips that there is healthy competition at home and it is blessing in disguise,

"We need competition to keep growing and try new things. My film 'Yem Maya Chesave' and Rana's ' Leader' released almost at the same time.Me and Rana didn't want that to happen as we are from the same family.We would ideally like to give each other's films a good gap. But there are five actors from our family and we can't help have simultaneous releases.In a way it is good to compete as younger actors are always trying to innovate in their charecters" he feels

"Rana and my dad had the advantage of knowing Hindi. I grew up in Chennai where Hindi isn't spoken much.I know Tamil. Currently, my interest is Telugu and Tamil cinema. I would like to do a bi-lingual with Telugu and Tamil release. However, If the charecter is fantastic and offer is irresistable, I am even willing to learn Hindi."

"I am not much of a social person. I like going to a friend's place. I love eating out but I am not a pub person. I would like to go to a place I know and party with my friends."


While most of his contemperaries with a star backing prefer to play safe by doing movies only with big directors, Chaintanya doesn't seem to have such reservations. He claims that new directors come with fresh ideas

"It is a huge debate that goes on within me when I listen to a script. Lot of people advise me not to do movies with new directors at this juncture of my career.But I feel new directors will think out of the box.Now Telugu cinema is in a phase where audience are bored of regular commercial films. The audience want something new from movies So, I don't mind doing films with new directors with great scripts"

Being a star kid, Chai is by default compared to his dad even after two films. He says he is proud of his lineage but wants to carve a niche for himself.

"People compare my walking style and body language to my dad's. He is looking younger by day and it is a huge pressure to meet his fitness levels. I couldn't have asked for better than be born in such an illustrious family.But I want to be known for who I am and want people to look at my work and appreciate me for that. I want to be known for my acting skills too than be identified only as grandson and son of big stars. People still think I can do only lover boy roles. I want to prove to them that I can do anything and even negative shades. I tell directors not to look at me as a hero. I want to be a charecter.I got into cinema because acting interested me and not stardom. I want to make a mark for myself" says the actor who is planning to move out of his father's residence soon to try living independantly.

Unlike other young breed of actors, Chai makes very few public appearances.He reveals that he isn't a pub person.

"I would like to eat out and party but at some friend's place. I would like to go and party at a place that I know rather than at a pub. I am not much a social person and hang out only with my close friends" Nagachaitanya raves.

Chaitanya says love is a very special feeling for him and he would like to find a girl for himself may be after a few years.But would he like his girl friend to be like Jessie, the charecter played by Samanta in YMC?


"If I had a girl friend, she wouldn't be like Jessie.I cant take it when girls are so confused.Love is a very imp thing in my life.I like the feeling of love and being loved.I told my parents not to think of marriage now.I would like to find my own girl but this is the time mind keeps changing. Let us see how it goes" he concludes.

(Published in Times of India on 31-12-2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment