Friday, July 31, 2009

Vimala busy with 'Chandramukhi-II'

One of the most talked about among the horde of fresh faces in Tollywood, actress Vimala Raman, a former Miss India-Australia and a renowned Bharatanatyam dancer from Down Under, is on a roll.


Already 10-movies-old, this NRI girl who made her debut with Evaraina Epudaina is all set to start her next Tollywood project opposite Tarun.

Vimala’s career course steered towards movies after winning the Miss India-Australia title. “I came to India for the Miss India world-wide contest and started modelling. That’s when I got a movie offer in Tamil,” she says. The actor who has acted in Malyalam, Kannada and Tamil films, is now focusing on Tollywood. “I am concentrating on Telugu films now as I like the way the industry works. Tollywood also has a more global reach. So, I’m here to stay,” says the actress who has quite a few films in her kitty now.


“I am currently doing Aaptamitra in Kannada which is the sequel to Chandramukhi,” says Vimala Raman. But the critics in the Telugu film industry have been giving the actress a tough time ever since her debut. The 29-year-old actress received much flak that she looks older than her heroes, especially in Evaraina Epudaina, where she starred opposite 20-year-old Varun Sandesh. “It is the director who chooses his actors and visualises how we should look in the movie,” justifies the actress.


“In Hollywood, actresses are often older than actors. It shouldn’t matter at all,” exclaims Vimala Raman who has already acted with the likes of Mammooty and Mohanlal.“I don’t mind being paired with any actor. It is the script and the role which matters. The audience should remember me for my acting,” she adds.


For now, the NRI actress claims, she is in a “happy place”. “I never expected that I could be a part of the Indian film industry. Its a fantasy world that entertains many. I couldn’t have dreamt of a better life,” gushes Vimala.While her busy film career may not leave her with time to pursue her “first love” — Bharatanatyam, the actress says the dance form keeps her fit. “I have been performing for the past 15 years. It is what keeps me fit and makes me look good in whatever I wear,” says Vimala Raman.“I have already begun to get a few offers to perform recitals. I hope to start performing once I am done with shoots.” she adds.

No comments:

Post a Comment