Thursday, October 15, 2009

"Money doesn't matter to me"

Telugu audience who saw her in 'Amma Nana O Tamil Ammayi' and in 'Shivamani', surely must not have expected that the 'Kerala Kutty' with those innocent looks would one day become a contendor for the numero uno post among Bollywood divas. Asin Thottumkal whose career graph is on the upper trend with her Bollywood debut 'Ghazini' turning out to be one of the biggest hits ever, is now turning heads yet again for her upcoming movie 'London dreams' in which she is starring with Salman Khan and Ajay Devagan. Asin says she was referred to as 'Chennai express' by Salman in this movie and it brought back the memories of shooting for 'Amma Nanna O Tamil Ammayi' .


"Its been quite a journey I must say. Whenever Salman called me 'Chennai express' in London dreams, I got those flashes from Amma Nanna O Tamila Ammayi where Ravi Teja calls me 'Ae Chennai' says this actress with a nostalgic feeling ,who recently shot a commercial too with cricketer Dhoni. Asin who got to work with Amir Khan in her first movie has Salman to romance with in her second Bollywood movie. Is Sharukh going to be the next one from theKhandom to act with her?


"I also did a commercial with Saif Ali Khan. I don't know if I will get to work with Sharukh. I just hope so" she laughs adding that it was 'fun' working with Salman Khan and Ajay Devagan whom she says have come across to her as ' down to earth', 'friendly' and 'warm' actors.


" I think when we work with actors senior to us, the onus is on them to make us feel comfortable. While shooting for 'London dreams', I got to know Salman and Ajay Devagan personally and as friends. We used to have lunches and dinner together. They were not those actors who would retire themselves to their vantiy vans and come out only when they had their shot ready. They shared a few funny experiences of their career and made the whole atmosphere very lively." says Asin who will appear in her upcoming movie as a NRI girl.


Asin claims that she is not in the industry to make money out of her success but chooses movies which she is 'comfortable' with and likes to be a part of, which iswhy this long gap after Ghazini."I am not the type of actor who makes hay while Sun Shines. Just because my first movie is a hit, I don't chose any script that comes my way. I don't like to do toomany movies for the sake of making use of current success and then wait for mymovies to be successful. For me making money is not at all the criteria. I was waiting for a project I would love to be a part of. Ghazini was a remake of my ownSouth Indian movie. I wanted to do an out and out Bollywood movie which has a good combination of interesting script, my role, talented director, potential producer and professional star cast." she says.



With Bollywood going gaga over her and oppurtunities pouring in, Tollywood which gave her career a facelift is of the impression that she will not act in Telugu any more. But Asin rubbishes them as 'misconceptions'."It is a wrong conception that I will not act in Telugu anymore. Language has never been a criteria for me. If I get the interesting combination of all the parameters I look out for in choosing a cinema, I will take it up irrespective of which language it is. I never blocked of any industry. Just because I am doing Hindi, I don't give up Telugu and if something intersting comes my way, I will take it up for sure" she quips diplomatically.



Asin says since she is the first Mallu girl to become a star in Bollywood, she is being looked upon as a 'pioneer' in South India and her home state. She says her first movie turning out to be a blockbuster has sort of created hysteria in South more so because her success has come after a long time only after Sridevi.


"Its been a while after Sridevi who is established as South Indian went to northand earned success. I feel like I stepped on moon like Niel Armstrong. Its a fabulous feeling and I am sure I have the support of South Indians and their prayers are with me." says Asin who 'misses ' South India.


"I really miss South India. Its home and an atmosphere which I am familiar with.Its been a while I could even travel to Hyderabad. I will grab any oppurtunity that comes my way to come to the city. In South, I feel lot more closer to our people"While she is basking in the glory of success, controversies too have been a part of her success package. Mumbai press has been writing in that the actress import screw from Kerala to assist her and that her dad over interferes in her career.However the actress terms these allegations as the brainchild of crazy north Indian press.



"When I used to work in South Indian films, I never had this problem. There is an iota of truth in what media writes in South Indian states. But in Mumbai, people just sit in their office and write whatever they feel like about me and then ask me to clarify on that. Its just crazy and I am yet to understand the way media functions in Bollywood. I never got any crew from Kerala. I always relied on the staff my director provides me. Those who worked with me know these facts. When I was doing South Indian films, my dad was doubling up as my manager since there aren't many PR managers to handle your affairs there. But in Mumbai there are alot of PR agencies and hence now my dad is relieved on this burden of handling my career. Bollywood media writes whatever they like without even making an effort to get in touch with me" says the actress who finds no difference in the way any film industry works.



Observors can't get over the fact that the actress has changed her look as she went north and now looks more stylish. Asin laughs it off and claims it is just progression and learning in course of time.


"I was just 14 years old when I signed my first movie. I don't have a film background .Unlike many who go to grooming classes and come out as finished products, I have learnt it all myself. As movies progress, I learnt and perhaps when I see myself an year from now, I might cringe at what I did. As the number of movies increase, I understood my profession better.I think thats a good thing and it shows growth" she signs off with Asin mark smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment