Monday, February 15, 2010

"I am a shy guy" says Mickey



A two time Nandi award winner in his six year career as a music director, Mickey J Meyer is all gearing up to recreate his magic combination with Shekhar Kammula in the upcoming movie 'Leader'. Mickey's music for Shekhar'a Happydays remained one of the biggest chartbusters in Telugu film industry.


About half a dozen movie albums old Mickey who is 'elated' working with Shekhar yet again says he doesn't mind being branded as a music director of a particular camp as long as he is being associated with top director. "Best of my music came from Shekhar Kammula's film.He hardly interfers in the music and only gives his final verdict on my compositions. He trusts my judgement and gives me the freedom. He is willing to sacrifice his liking for a certain kind of music if I feel my composition will work in the movie. With Shekhar, I am the boss.I don't mind if people say I am from a particular camp as long as I get to work with talented and top directors." Mickey quips. This 28 year old Hyderabadi who will debut in Bollywood soon with the Hindi remake of Happydays this year maintains a distance from publicity and media unlike other music composers who are even debuting as actors in movies.

Critics claim that his 'low profile' is a deterrant in bagging big offers. Mickey however says he is basically a shy guy and will let his music speak on his behalf. "I am a shy guy and it is natural for me to stay away from public appearances and publicity.There are music directors who can dance and sing on the stage for hours.It is not bad to market oneself by dancing and singing on the stage but it doesn't come naturally to me.I will allow my music to speak for itself" says Meyer who is gearing up to give stage shows soon aka A R Rahman.

Mickey who just finished composing music for 'Maro Charitra' in Telugu, is banking on Happydays remake for his entry into Bollywood, says he will compose music for the movies only if there is scope for it in the script."I will sign a movie only if the script has scope for music. Music should be able to carry the script along and there should be purpose for songs in movies. Otherwise having songs for the heck of it doesn't make sense to me" he declares. There is a serious allegation on the Tollywood music directors that they give better music to films they are paid more for.

Does he agree with that?"It is not true that we give better music to films that pay us more.It is just a matter of timing and creativity.For instance, the best of A R Rahman came with Maniratnam. So, the quality of music depends on the director and the script, but not on the money"

This young music composer from Trinity college of music attributes 'second guessing' attitude of Tollywood directors to lacklustre music in Telugu movies. "Most often directors here are bound by certain rules and second guess what audience like.Thankfully, I have done low key movies and had the flexibility to give my compositions without interferences.If it is a big star's movie, it would have been a problem. Directors here should not stick to their notions and start making music for the audience" Meyer opines.

No comments:

Post a Comment