Monday, February 1, 2010

" Skin show is not glamour" says Sindhu Menon


Though less than half a dozen movies old in Telugu film industry, Mallu girl Sindhu Menon has earned critical acclaim for her performance. Known for her girl 'traditional' look many touted her as are placement to actor Soundharya. But ever since 'Siddham' released in 2008, her last in Telugu, Sindhu has had no release since an year in the industry now.
Currently working on 'Subhadra' and ' Prema Pilustondhi', Sindhu attributes absence from Telugu screen to her busy schedule in Tamil." 'Eeram', a Tamil movie kept me busy for close to two years. We had long shooting schedules and had to travel extensively for the movie. Though I had offers from Telugu, I couldn't take up due to lack of dates" she claims. Sindhu who is known for her 'family' look, agrees that she is missing out on big offers perhaps because she is not comfortable with skin show and has a lot of restrictions when it comes to costumes.
"I am strictly not comfortable with exposing. Looking glamorous and skin show are not synonymous. Actors like Revati and Suhasini were appreciated for their work and not for their skin. I want to be in that category. I tried skin show but I was not happy with it at all. When I face that discomfort with the costumes, it shows on the screen as it looks 'artificial' and so I stopped it completely. I guess it has affected my movie offers but I continue to put my foot down and reject what I don't want to do. Cinema is my passion and not business and so I don't regret turning down offers that want me to show my skin" Menon says.
Sindhu opines, that she gets more 'sensible' movie offers in Malayalam than in Telugu observes that the situation is gradually changing in Tollywood as the audience now give more importance to the script rather than the 'glam value' of the actress.
"Gone are the days when masala like fights, skimpy costume wearing heroine, five songs were imperative. The tastes of the audience have changed drastically over the years. Script is priority now and the making of the film, the story and acting is what draws the audience to theatres. But offlate, I see a change and thankfully, I am beginning to get such meaningful scripts from Telugu film makers that suit my acting abilities" says the actress who is also currently working on an untitled Indian English movie.
Filmnagar rumour mills tell us that actor and director of 'Siddham', J D Chakravarthy had issues with Sindhu and went public on ' lack of committement' from her end on the sets. Ask her if she had tough time working with JD?
"We had a communication gap. I guess he was not happy working with me. Till date I had no problem with any director and am known for my discipline on sets. It must be for publicity. I couldn't follow what he wants and used to take the help of Jagapati Babu to understand what JD wants from me in the shot. It is dissapointing to hear that he questions my committment despite the fact that I was well appreciated for my performance in that movie" she clairifies.



Menon who also launched her production house producing tv serials manages her education and career equally well. For now she says that all she expects from her two upcoming movies is ' sinciere appreciation' from the industry.
"If we compromise on certain aspects, we can earn money easily. But what I want is honest appreciation from the industry for my work. I don't expect hundred movie offers after these films release but more meaningful cinema to play roles in" she hopes

No comments:

Post a Comment