Tuesday, February 2, 2010

'Other heroines are half as talented as me' says Mamta Mohandas


Mamta Mohandas is one person who has earned more fame as a singer than as an actor despite being a part of movies like 'Yamadonga' and 'Homam'. The actor who is determined to make it big in Telugu film industry is now making a killer come back with 'Kedi' pairing with Nagarjuna. The actor says she was offered this role as she was 'disappointed' with her screen space in Nagarjuna's previous film 'King'.
"It is certainly a comeback for me. In Nag's previous movie 'King', I was narrated something and the output was something else. I expressed my dissapointment over this to Nagarjuna and so he offered me this role. That apart, there are very few heroines in the industry now who are typecasted for playing only grey shade roles or glamorous charecters. I am one of the very few who can balance both performance and glamour and so was the natural choice for the makers of 'Kedi' " Mamta flaunts.
The actor while admitting that she chose a few wrong movies after her debut in 'Yamadonga' is playing cards close to her heart and is very careful in chosing her script."For now I have four Malayalam movies in hand which will keep me busy until May. I will chose my next Telugu movie only after seeing how 'Kedi' is recieved by the audience. I don't want to commit any blunders hereafter " she quips.
A trained singer in classical music, Mamta delivered Tollywood's one of the biggest chartbusters like 'Aakalesthe Annam Pedatha..' for Chiranjeevi starrer Shankardada Zindabad and 'Rakhi Rakhi ' for NTR starrer Rakhi. The actor who has not lent her voice to any song since the past one year in Telugu says her 'priority' now is acting."Singing is my passion which is why I learnt it from my childhood. It is easy to sing than be a charecter I am acting in. But I feel I can sing even after I am done with my career as an actor which is why I am limiting myself on my role as a singer. For now, my priority is acting . I might sing if it is for a big project and the song interests me" Das declares.
The actor who played blink and miss roles and shared screen space with other heroines recently turned down an offer to act in a movie starring Balakrishna as it had two other heroines. Will she not act in movies which want her to share screen space with other actresses hereafter? "There are so many heroines in the industry who are half as talented as I am and are making it bigger here. I will not accept a movie which has other heroines unless I am signed first and the script allows me to perform.I have experimented enough and will not accept any offer that doesn't respect my capabilities as an actor"


Mamta , a mallu by birth who grew up abroad is all set to shift her base to Hyderabad soon. She says she relates herself more to this city than anyother place in South though she acted in all the South Indian languages.
"Hyderabad makes Tollywood special for me. For someone like me who has come from abroad, I feel it is easy to get along with Hyderabad than any other city in South.The best part about Telugu film industry is the actors are well educated and cinema is a family business here where everyone in the family is involved in making of the film. Telugu film industry is a class apart.The industry is next only to Bollywood interms of budget, market, distribution and movies being made. In other industries, people from various backgrounds enter and it is difficult for people like me to get someone of the same wavelength which is not the case in Tollywood. I will soon shift to Hyderabad" says the actress.
Despite being in the limelight for long, the actor says she is still waiting for the 'right' project that will make a mark in Telugu."I don't think it is about charging a crore and wearing a bikini or getting your Public relations well or looking just glamorous. I am waiting for the right script to rise to a different level as an actor. I am still waiting for that kind of a project from Telugu" she signs off.

No comments:

Post a Comment