Tuesday, May 26, 2009

" I have a Telugu face" says Shaam



Tollywood is becoming a hot spot for imports from the Tamil film industry. Almost all Kollywood actors have tried their luck in Andhra shores. And the latest to hop on to this bandwagon is Tamil’s favourite lover boy Shaam. He shed his chocolate boy image and grew a moustache to play a tough cop in Kick. Having received rave reviews for his performance, the 14-film-old actor is all set to star in two Telugu movies now.


Shaam who is “learning Telugu” for his roles, says, “Apart from Antony, I’m working on Agampuram. Many may have criticised my move to play a second lead in Kick, but I chose the role since I always wanted to enter the Telugu film industry. I’ve gotten loads of Tollywood offers before, but since I was not too familiar with the language, I backed out. Now, I’ve learnt a little bit of Telugu and I’m on a signing spree in Tollywood.”
And it is not just his enthusiasm for learning the local language that makes this actor a hit with producers of Tollywood. His “Telugu looks” will take him a long way, he feels. “When I was shooting for Kick, people kept telling me that I look like a Telugu boy. Very few actors can boast of this. Now wonder, actors who are successful in one industry don’t click in another. I’m going to make full use of my local looks to get movies,” he quips.


Shaam’s eagerness to work in Tollywood, in fact, has much to do with the “the local audience.” “I find the Telugu audience much more encouraging. In Tamil Nadu, people go to the theatres to watch a movie only if it is a big hit. Here in Andhra, everyone is a movie buff. They appreciate every film. I love that attitude,” he says.
And the audiences love him too. He may be just one film old in Tollywood, but he already has many fan clubs dedicated to him online. In fact, sources say that when Shaam was shooting in Malaysia, female fans kept hovering around him. Wonder if that made lead actor Ravi Teja jealous, considering that critics too stated that Shaam overshadowed Ravi Teja.
“I’ve earned the tag of a ‘romantic hero’, thanks to my Tamil films. And since they have a great audience in Malaysia, many fans were happy to see me. Ravi Teja kept pulling my leg about how I’m more popular than him. It was all in good humour. He took care of me like my brother,” he clarifies.


Apart from the many Tollywood offers, this actor also has his eyes set on Bollywood. “I want to play interesting roles and not just act in the same old love stories. I’ve signed a Hindi film titled Mujhe Maaf Karo to be directed by Faisal Saif,” says this actor who adds that he plays cricket matches and parties with “good buddies” like actors Ajith, Srikanth, Jeeva and Abbas to de-stress on weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment