Saturday, December 12, 2009

"I wore bikini to show my otherside"




Soon after her national award winning performance in Tamil blockbuster 'Paruthiveeran', Priyamani set the screen ablaze in bikini in 'Drona' starring Nitin, demonstrating the versatile roles she has played.The actress who is perhaps one of the busiest stars in the industry now,is the most sought after star for performance oriented roles.Priyamani says, she has certainly become more cautious after bagging the national award.


"I am very choosy with my subjects and I am not on a signing spree. People certainly expect something exciting from me after I bagged the national award. I have to live upto that name as a national award winner and not let my directors and fans down. I am also carefullly choosing my roles and trying to strike a balance between commercial movies and performance oriented roles now. I am yet to come across a script that is as heavy and performance oriented as Paruthiveeran" says this 25 year old actress.


She may be winning critical acclaim for her performance but she hasn'thad a box office blockbuster in Telugu after 'Yamadonga' in 2007. While admitting that her movies were a flop, she says the success of the film is beyong her control.
"I give my 100 per cent to every film I do. When the director narrates the script it sounds great. But the end result may not be as good as it is explained by the director. Things could go wrong in editing or anywhere. There are so many factors for the failure of a film. All films can'tbe blockbusters. All I can do is to put in my best efforts. I don't have the control on the end result of the film. I am now doing two films 'Sambho Shiva Sambho' with Ravi Teja and 'Sadhyam'. I am sure, they will resurrect my position in the industry as I look totally different in these films" hopes this actress who has worked in all the South Indian industries and claims Tollywood to be 'richer' than anyother industry, thanks to its bigger market.


"I can't compare one industry with the other.They are different and got to play good charecters in all the languages. Telugu is certainly richer industry than that of others as it has huge market. But I am comfortable doing films in all the languages" she says diplomatically. Priyamani says she is 'content' with the charecters she got to play in Telugu an industry which is known to include actresses in the movies only to run around trees.
"The roles I have played have been good enough and I got to do fair amount of performance oriented roles.Fortunately my charecters werenot one of those running around trees types. I got equal amount of screen space as that of heroes. I will take up a project only if my charecter has significance in the story

"Is her bikini act in 'Drona' an attempt to silence the critics who slot heras an actor fit to perform only a particual genre of films?
"When my director insisted that I wear bikini for 'Drona', I was a little hesitant. But he told me that it would be shot stylishly like Kareena in Tashan.I also wanted to show my other side to the audience and readily agreed. It created sensation of the sorts and whenever I came to Hyderabad those days, I got to see it being played on TV in airport. It was very funny and I got mixed reactions from the audience for wearing bikini. I took the feedback positively and I proved myself fit to look glamorous too"


This Palakkad girl has also raised many eyebrows for bagging a role in Maniratnam's much talked about 'Raavan'.Many observes claim this to be her gateway to Bollywood. But the actress says she prefers to take it as it comes. "If Raavan clicks and I get good scripts to act in Bollywood, I will take it up. For me it is just another industry with wide range of audience and bigger market.If the roles are exciting only then I will take them up. Otherwise, I am fine with our South Indian industry

"Infact Bollywood diva Vidya Balan is the cousin of Priyamani. The actress says though she has never spoken to Vidya, she is 'proud' of her.

"Vidya is a fabulous actor and I am proud of her. Her grandfather was my grandpa's brother. Her dad keeps in touch with my dad. But we haven't spoken as yet. I am proud of her performance" quips the actor who has evaded rumours of her link ups with her strategic silence."I have had fair share of rumours of affairs with co-stars and directors.In this industry, we are bound to be written about and I take it with a pinch of salt.The more you try to explain about it, the worse it gets. I don't comment or respond to such rumours and just neglect them"she signs off.

No comments:

Post a Comment