Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Priya Anand makes T'wood debut with 'Leader'!!


Ever since Shekhar Kammula delivered three back to back hits Anand, Godavari and Happydays, an oppurtunity to act in his film is considered passport to stardom in Telugu cinema. Priya Anand who is two films old bagged the role of heroine in his upcoming movie 'Leader' pairing with Daggubati Rana. An NRI girl, Priya has become the talk of the town of the sorts by signing another film 'Rama Rama Krishna Krishna' with Ram as the hero, even before Leader hit the screens.



Priya says she was always excited about Indian movies and is all excited about her debut film in Telugu. Unlike many Mumbai and Kerala imports, this US brought up girl managed to give dubbing for her charecter in this film.



"I grew up in Hyderabad and Chennai. Since my mom is a Tamilian and dad a Telugu, we only spoke in English at home. I grew up watching Telugu cinema and it wasn't tough for me to pick up the language.I still remember the day when my mom and me went to watch 'Kshana Kshanam' of Sridevi. I gave dubbing for my charecter in this movie. While I am dubbing, I get to see my performance on screen and so I can ascertain myself. It is quite helpful. Now that I know Telugu and I gave my dubbing for my Tamil movies too, I am ready to work in both the industries depending where I get an exciting script from" claims Priya who already acted in two Tamil movies 'Vaamanan' and 'Pugaippadam'.




Priya says 'Leader' is a thought provoking film and the offer to act in this project was 'way beyond her imagination' ."I got my first movie offer from Telugu film industry. But I turned it down. I am a new comer with no film background and so I wanted to be a part of something I love and big for my debut.I went to give my audition for Shekhar and got selected. It is a new vision and wonderful movie to be a part of even for the rest of my career.Leader has a social impact and it gets the audience thinking." she quips.



The actress who shot for the film for over an year says working with Rana was 'awesome' and they have infact become like a family. She says the actor is 'focused'.Though this film was supposed to release last month, it was postponed due to political unrest and now it is touted to release only in the last week of February.



Is she upset with its constant delay in release? "I am not upset with the release getting delayed at all.Everything has time and I am happy with the output.I am sure it will hit the screens soon and audience will like it" Priya says. Priya says that she has learnt that a good rapport with the team involved in the project will lead to better output.



"It is important to get along with people on the sets and that chemistry will certainly reflect on the screen.People on the sets of my movie were very encouraging and I couldn't have learnt Telugu so quickly but for the rapport I shared with them. My director Shekar Kammula was not a typical director and let me learn so much" Despite a US brought up with an exposure to international cinema, Priya feels Indian movies are not just abour running around trees. "Acting is make-believe and people come to watch movies to escape the stress and reality in their lives. Indian movies potray love in the way it suits our culture. We make movies for all kinds of audience and it is not true that our movies are only about running around trees" Well heroines have come and have gone. There have been many one movie wonders in the industry. With the onscreen life span of heroines reducing to less than five years, does Priya have a plan B in place?




"I have an education with media and journalism as a subjects. When I came to India, I wanted to be an assistant director to film maker Shankar. I wanted to be behind the screens as an executive producer. But now after acting in films I realise how tough an assistant director's job is and I don't think I am game for it. As an actor, now I am exposed to various departments involved in film making and I am sure when I have to quit acting, something will come up in the fields I am associated with" For Priya, whose parents are still in US, movies happenend as she came to Chennai to stay with her grandparents.She says it will take time for her parents to digest her as an actor on screen.



"I never spoke Telugu or Tamil at home and they are surprised to see me romance and act in movies.It is quite wierd for them. Shekar Kammula is quite famous in USA and my parents and friends will watch it there. I am sure they are all excited" she signs off.

No comments:

Post a Comment