Friday, September 25, 2009

Doctor turns actor!!

He is a cardiologist. He won hearts not just of his patients but also of movie buffs. A doctor by profession, Dr Bharath Reddy has won critical acclaim for his 'passion', acting!!!.


Bharath who is currently a junior cardiologist at Apollo Hospitals in Hyderabad, has already acted in about 18 films. In the latest release ' Eenadu', this medico plays the role of a cop sharing screen space with Kamal Hassan and Venkatesh. Hailing from Chandragiri in Chithoor district, the city based doctor attributes his interest in acting to his on-stage performances in his school days at Chennai.


"I studied till my XII standard at Chennai. I participated in plays during my school days. Those plays germinated an interest on acting in me. After finishing my intermediate in Chennai, I left for Europe to pursue my medicine. After my studies when I started working in Apollo Hospitals inthe city, my interest in movies enhanced. I visited every production house and urged them to give me a chance. I got an opportunity to be visible in 'Oka Vichitram'. Since then I have been assistant of a villain, a doctor, a police officer, a drug addict, a boy friend who steals his girl's money et al, If I look back and see how it all happened, I think this is fate" he smiles.


Bharath who played the cop role in Tamil version of Eenadu titled 'Unnaipol Oruvan ' too, has won critical acclaim from South India's big brother industry too. His managed to impress the critics with his acting in 'Kavya's diary' and 'Siddham'.In an industry where star kids encroach roles, Bharath is managing to carve a space for himself as an actor. Convincing his family on his pursual of his passion for cinema was not easy he claims.


"In many movies, I played negative roles. In a few I even did a role of a womaniser. I don't mention these movies to my parents. My wife too wasn't happy with my roles initially. Most often people asked me not to take up such roles as I am a cardiologist. But now that I did a cop role in 'Eenadu', my family is all happy. My thrilled cousins called me from US and made me talk to all their friends who appreciated me of my role in the film." says Bharath.

Does that mean he wouldn't do roles with negative shades anymore? "I am willing to even play a rapist as long as the story of the movie isinteresting. I will certainly take up any character that has scope for acting and performance. Bad reaches people faster than good. I am sure, people will remember me for my negative characters" he claims like a seasoned actor.Life has certainly changed post movies for this medico.


He says he balances his medical profession and movies smartly."We are a team of three cardiologists in the hospital .We do angioplasty.Even if I am not there , they manage. Usually, I get to know the schedules two weeks in advance. So, I balance my offs or even go on loss of pay to meet shooting commitments. For me being a cardiologist made films possible and now films are also helping me in my practice. I will never giveup my medical practice. In the West, people have two lives, one their profession and the other their passion. So for me both are equally important" says Dr Reddy who treats his film fraternity for free of cost.
Bharath whose patients ask for autographs along with prescription, also receives feedback from them."My patients keep calling me and ask me to do more positive charecters.Perhaps my height and well built body earn me negative characters too.They keep giving their opinion""I just want to prove that I can be equally good doctor and an impressive actor. I am working towards proving that people can manage their professions and pursue their passions too" he signs off.

No comments:

Post a Comment