Saturday, September 26, 2009

An impressive performer

For an actor who has no godfather to boast of, Nani has sure come a long way in Tollywood which is currently dominated by star kids. With two hits to his credit, actor Nani has already become a household name. Three movies in his kitty currently, this assistant director-turned-actor, says that acting happened accidentally.


“I was always interested in movies and was spotted more in theatres than in my college. I started out as an assistant director to Radha Gopalam. After being involved in the direction of a few movies, I got an offer to act in Astachamma, which turned out to be a big hit. Now that my second movie Ride also did well at the box office, I am happy at the way my acting career is shaping up. But it is still a surprise because I always wanted to be a director,” says Nani who feels that his stint as an assistant director opened ample opportunities for him.


“The stint taught me things that acting schools can never teach. Being part of the production process gave an opportunity to observe actors from close. When I used to narrate the scenes, I knew what expressions the actor should display. When I did start acting, I was already used to the camera,” says Nani who has also dabbled in RJing. Hailing from a non-filmy background is usually considered a disadvantage in Tollywood.


Nani, however, believes that actors like him have it easier. “Children of actors are always under constant pressure as fans have higher expectations from them. But for someone like me, it’s not the same. Opportunities that we get are not the same either. So at the end of the day, it is an even playing field. It’s equally tough for everyone,” he says. But off the battleground, everyone is great friends, insists Nani.


"We all meet often and there is a good relationship between us. Fortunately, Tollywood has enough space for all. Everyone is hardworking and want to leave a lasting impression on the industry,” he says.In fact, the actor feels it is the best time to be a part of the industry. “The Tollywood audience is certainly changing. There is growing acceptance for experimental films and even directors are dabbling with novel ideas,” says this actor who hopes to pursue his dream of becoming a director one day.“I want to prove myself as an actor. I am also learning a lot about filmmaking and hope to direct a movie in the future,” adds Nani.

By the way, I will reveal a secret about Nani to the followers of my blog. The real name of Nani is Naveen.

No comments:

Post a Comment