Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"I believe in people cinema" says Kamal Hassan

He has completed 50 glorious years in the film industry, but 55-year-old Kamal Haasan is as exuberant as a debutante. In the city with his family for the audio launch of his film Eenadu, the actor talks about his love for cinema.


Always known to tread on off-beat paths, Kamal has managed to be a commercial success. “I try different things, but I am not the struggling actor from art cinema. I believe in ‘people’ cinema. Feedback should be as honest as a mirror and, for me, box office success is the true feedback,” says the actor.


Much lauded for his versatility, Kamal Hasaan says it was a great experience working with Venkatesh in Eenadu and with Mohanlal in Tamil, though he feels the southern industry hasn’t opened up to multi-starrers yet. “I don’t know how many actors will be ready to do multi-starrers. Everyone fails to remember that it is the story which made them stars. Content is king. Yet, we keep doing the same kind of cinema which becomes monotonous,” he adds.



The actor who has been doing multi-linguals right from his Sagara Sangamam days says he does movies in both Tamil and Telugu as he doesn’t want to “neglect the audience of both states.”



His film career may be going great guns, but controversies haven’t left his side either. Pyramid Saimira, a production company recently alleged that it had paid Rs 10.9 crore to the actor, which was used by him to produce Eenadu and Unnaipol Oruvan. The company has sought a court stay on the film’s release and issued a notice against him for breaching their contract for the film Marmayogi. Kamal, in turn is demanding that they pay him Rs 40 crore for asking him not to work for a year.



“They are trying to build a false case. The cheque they gave me for Rs 1.5 crore, bounced due to lack of funds. They told me they don’t have the money to make the film,” Kamal exclaims.

Kamal is now making headlines not just an actor but as a proud dad. Talking about Sruthi Hassan, he says that the relationship he shares with his daughter is that of equals. “She has always been daddy’s girl, but now she is a distinct ‘individual’. If she wants me to guide her, then I direct her to the right people. If she asks me for advice, I’m ready to give that too,” says the doting dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment