Saturday, September 26, 2009

"I am an actor and not a hero"

While most of the Tollywood’s younger brigade are busy building six pack abs, 30-movie-old Allari Naresh is on a signing spree. The actor, last year created a record by doing eight movies in a row and has already signed about half-a-dozen this year.


Naresh, who has been mostly doing comedy flicks, claims that such roles are more challenging. “Making people laugh is tough. The purpose of films is entertainment and people should leave feeling good. So, I don’t spend time romancing the heroine but rather ensure that the audience laughs every minute,” he says. Tagged 'Allari' after the title of his first film Allari, the actor, has also impressed critics with his portrayal of serious roles in Gamyam, Pranam, Nenu. Though comedy is his forte, he says he does not want to confine himself to any one genre.

“There are many who think I am only a comedian. But I have played a villain, a second lead too. I am ready to play any character as long as it interests me.”
But being unconventional has its highs says Naresh. “People refer to me as an ‘actor,’ rather than tagging me as a hero.” Though the actor is used to fame and “cannot imagine going unrecognised by people,” he thinks that it is untrue that young actors from film backgrounds have it easy in life. “It is a wrong notion that star kids get roles easily. They are under pressure to perform as the audience compares them to their dad/mom,” he says.


The actor is currently working with senior filmmakers. “The producers that I used to work with earlier, hail from the software and real estate sector. They have been hit by recession, so I am working with senior filmmakers in the industry,” he quips adding that he is game for multi-starrers.
“From next year, I will do multi-starrers as that helps producers invest more and we can come up with quality films.” But it’s not just acting that Naresh is eyeing. “I am planning to direct a movie by 2013. I will have to save money for that as I don’t want to risk others’ money for my directorial debut.”

It may not have been a long stint in the industry but the actor has courted controversy, nevertheless. Celeb blogs are abuzz with his alleged affair with co-star Farzana.
But the actor brushes it off as mere rumours. “She is a good friend. I know her boyfriend too and they got married last year. Such rumours hurt. I am currently not seeing anyone.” he signs off.

No comments:

Post a Comment